Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Monday 2 March 2009

A new month, and a Clapotis dilemma...

I have been knitting away furiously at my Clapotis scarf (and am very impressed with the way it's looking right now!) for the last few days. I have to say that knitting this in sock yarn, on 3mm needles does make me feel like I've fallen into one of the black holes that plague knitters. I'm up to the middle section - actually, I've just completed the middle section as the pattern dictates, and I was able to excitedly announce to Pete how pleased I was that I could start on the decreases: "Finally, I can decrease... DECREASE!"... It's all very autumnal here...

Now I'm not so sure. I've held it up, measured the sides, stretched it out a little, measured the sides again and wrapped it around my neck and I'm starting to think that maybe I need to do several more middle section repeats so that I end up with a longer scarf. I have plenty of yarn left (which is another hint to me that I should make it longer), but am lacking a little willpower. My internal dialogue is sounding a little like this:

Sane me: "You know, you're going to want this to be longer. It's not going to wrap around your neck properly."

Impatient me: "Yeah, but... but the pattern says I can decrease now."

Sane me: "You are going to be totally annoyed at yourself when you finish up with a heap of leftover yarn and a scarf that's too short."

Impatient me *whingeing*: "Yeah, but the pattern... the pattern says so!"

Sane me: "Every time you put this scarf on - every time you even look at a top and think 'Hey, my Raspberry Clapotis would look great with that!' - you're going to shudder and remember that you could have had it fit fine if only you'd listened to me in the first place. Let's not go to that place, yeah?"

Impatient me: "Will you look at the calender? It's March already. I'm gonna start the next squares for the Year in a Blanket KAL. So there."

No comments: