Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Friday 10 April 2009

Blanket squares a go-go

The squares for April are finally completed, happily giving me enough time to have a crack at starting the Weasley sweater for WonderBoy before I need to even think about squares for May. I'm still going on with the Noro Striped scarf, it's great for KnitNight, as I can knit and chat without risking too many mistakes.

And here they are, for one month only!This one is called Cables and Bobbles, and I'm quite pleased with it. I knit it in the dark green as the design made me think of Lilies of the Valley. My aim, when I get to the end of this blanket, is to have at least one solid-colour square in each of the colours in the blanket. Mostly, this will be in a textured stitch pattern or cables - if I can stomach them again...

As mentioned earlier, I tried to do another cabled square this month (I had some idea about getting to the end of the year and having a cabled square, a striped square and an intarsia square for each month, but I think I'll be out of ideas re: cables by then. 'Go with the flow' is working for me right now.


So after I frogged both attempts at cables, I knit a nice, basic rainbow striped
square:Ahhhh. Calm thoughts, calm thoughts. It just makes me breathe deeply when I see this square and remember how much cable stress it alleviated!

And the third for this month: Australia. Lola-Frog joined us on quite an auspicious day this year; Australia Day. Great for her party - everyone will know it's on the public holiday every year!
I feel quite pleased with myself regarding this one. I couldn't find a pattern for a square with a map of Australia on it that I liked - either the square was the wrong size, or the map itself was the wrong shape or size. So I printed out some knitters' graph paper, courtesy of this website, printed a map of Australia from Google Images, and charted my own. I suppose I could say this is my first crack at designing! Yay me. Only thing I would have changed is the direction with which I was knitting when I changed colours from the orange back to the purple, but eh, who cares? Not me, especially when I was finishing it off at 1am last Wednesday (Thursday, I suppose it was!)

And now, back into it. I could cast on a gauge swatch for WonderBoy's Weasley Sweater, but I actually do feel that there is housework I should be getting on with (weird, isn't it?)



No comments: