Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Wednesday 25 February 2009

Dyeing for a change

A few weeks ago, I posted about an acquired stash of six 50 gram balls of cotton that Mum had sourced for me from the op shop she volunteers at. It's called 'Panama' by Cleckheaton (something I've never seen or heard of, before or since!) and is the most basic, icy-white colour.

I've decided white is boring. It all needs a good wash anyway, so I've unwound it all and prepared it to be skeined (hurrah for my 'All-Powerful' swift!), washed and then dyed. I want to try handpainting this cotton, to try to get repeating stripes, so I can knit it into a couple of little pinafore-type dresses for Little One. I just hope I can figure out how to do it properly and right the first time - I don't have any extra to fall back on!I'm going to use Dylon cold water dye, which I have used to dye cotton before (tie dye, but successful dyeing nonetheless), so I know it works - one remaining question is: Dylon cold water dyes are usually used by submersing the item to be dyed in a pot of the colour, rather than painting it on sections and wrapping in plastic, which is how you see most handpainted yarns done (they are then heated up, either in a microwave or steamed in hot water)... can I do this with my cold water dye??

Maybe to play it safe, I could arrange the yarn to 'flow' into and out of several
containers, each with a measure of dye... nicolana111 (on Ravelry) has pictures of something similar that she did to make her own self-striping sock yarn (project name is 'Hand Dyed Self Striping').

In the meantime, I have this entry in my list of things to get done this w
eek:
"Knit on the Clapotis without planning new projects"

Here is the Clapotis as it stand right now;
(don't you just love my DIY stitch markers there?)

... and here is the yarn I bought on Monday (Cleckheaton Country Prints 8 ply) to start a Baby Surprise Jacket for Little One.
That's a big FAIL there for me!

No comments: