Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Saturday 14 February 2009

Blanket squares and breastfeeding lamentation

The February squares for the 2009 Blanket KAL are completed and blocked - this is turning out to be a fantastic project for me having just come home from hospital with Little One. The squares are small enough to be completed quickly and can all be varied so as to maintain my interest, and I'm able to put them down and pick them up easily and without losing my place. All in all, good 'instant gratification' for the first couple of weeks in the month, leaving the last two months open for me to keep going with bigger projects - at this moment, it's the Raspberry Clapotis... Here are February's squares:

The first is also my first crack at Fair Isle, which was challenging but fun!
The second; done simply in textured stripes so I could complete it quickly and not have my sleep-deprived brain trickle out my ears when trying anything more complex...The third is my very first try at knitting cables, which I loved! I couldn't believe how much easier it was to knit than I thought it was going to be... and now I'm really excited, because feeling success on this square has opened me up to SO many more projects that I would have been too much of a wussbag to even try...And now, family picture time! Don't think I was going to let anyone off that easily! Here's me with my beautiful babies...
... And WonderBoy, gently giving Little One her diddy back after she spat it out. My sense of maternal accomplishment swells with pride looking at this picture - with the tears and tantrums that have inevitably come with our second arrival, it makes me feel like I've done at least a couple of things right when I see this brotherly behaviour...
And, a photo that makes me feel accomplished as both a mother and a knitter: here's my very own Baby Mine, dressed in her own "Baby Mine". I just can't quite believe that I've dressed her in something I knit in a 'six months' size... at the ripe old age of two-and-a-half weeks old!!! We breed 'em big here...
I do find myself thinking about knitting A LOT lately, usually at 4.30am as I'm sitting up in the family room, breastfeeding my little girl. Often my knitting bag or the current project itself is sitting in view of the lounge, and I either find myself considering further stash and project directions, or repeating my melancholy mantra over and over,

"How much more knitting could I be getting done if I could knit while breastfeeding?"

*sigh*

No comments: