Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Monday 21 January 2008

New addition, no name

Looks like I am becoming one of those "knitters with cats" or "cat people who knit". I've yet to decide which. Read this Yarn Harlot blog entry for a very funny conversation with her cat. Well written and hilarious! Anyway, this little one was found (abandoned, we're pretty sure) on the doorstep of the dry cleaners' opposite friends of ours, miaowing very loudly and sheltering from some heavy rain a couple of days ago:

Steve doorknocked up and down nearby streets to see if he could find some owners missing a kitten, and took her to the vet, to find she had no microchip, while Sam made up a temporary bed and litter tray for her; she has a lovely friendly nature and settled in beautifully with them. Unfortunately, they felt the would not be able to keep her in their wee flat, not being able to let her outside at all, so they began calling friends and family to see if they could find her a permanent home. When Steve called Pete, he said 'No' flat out (and was grateful that I hadn't picked up the phone - I've been harassing him for a furry pet most of last year and he'd pretty well talked me out of it)...

We went over to Sam and Steve's for lunch yesterday, to find that Sam had the phonebook out and was looking for the number of the animal shelter - they just weren't having any luck finding someone to take her home.

I looked over at Pete, saying "They can't take her to the shelter!", and he
paused, sighed and said "Okay, if you can't find anyone else, we'll take her". He's a cat man through and through - he can't resist once he's seen them in the flesh.

I mean, look at her - who could resist?


She's going to be coming home to us in the next couple of days, once we've got a space and some things sorted out for her. I can't wait, and Wonderboy loves pussycats. He's very quiet and still around them, and I think he and she will get along well - she wasn't frightened of him at all yesterday!

Now, all we have to do is think of a name. I liked 'Rigby' (as in Eleanor Rigby),
but everyone reckons it sounds like a name for a boy cat. But I also like 'Lola', and on a Harry Potter bent, I like 'Ginny' and 'Luna'. I did suggest 'Hermione' and 'Nymphadora', but Pete reckons he'd sound like a tool calling the cat in at night with those names. He likes 'Abbey' (as in Abbey Road). We shall see.

In actual knitting-related news, I finally finished the washcloth for my Mother-in-Law. It's huge (much like most stuff I knit), and ended up using almost an entire ball of "Peaches 'n' Creme". It's done in 182 'Raspberry Swirl'. I love the Ombres range - the colours knit up in such interesting ways over a washcloth.

The little bit of cotton to the left is what I had left after sewing the ends together. That's a big-arse washcloth!

I'm working with a solid green right now, knitting another quick washcloth for myself (it takes away the wrenching feeling of giving another I really really liked away!) with a big ol' pear knitted into it. Why? I dunno!

More news on our little arrival very soon!

No comments: