Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Tuesday 1 January 2008

Birth is a lengthy, difficult process

My poor, poor yarn monster. There is a body - I should say she has a body, ready to go, arms and legs are knit and awaiting stuffing. I know it sounds indelicate, but it is quite necessary for a well-rounded and functional Yarn Monster appendage. All these essential parts are ready to go, and yet, she is still sitting in the bottom of the paper bag from whence her yarn came.

I'm a bad mother, aren't I?

I decided she will be a she. I'm aiming for her to be a potential Antipodean internet-yarn-monster-love-interest for a young, dashing Yarn monster known as Henry Watts, Esq. Pressure much? You may read of Henry's exploits here, at A Little Bit Of Happy. I'm nervous for her, though. What if he never realises she even exists*? Her little woolen heart might break.


Ah, but what to name the wee lass? I'm getting the feeling with the flashy, 'come hither' stripes that this Yarn Monster girlie will be a bit of a hussy, so I've decided to figure out a way to knit her some big, lolly-pink lips. These two
planned characteristics have had me thinking of potential names. Ruby is the standout for me at the moment, but I wonder if there will be something more suitable? When she is complete, I may post a list of suggestions and let it come down to an online vote.

And along the somewhat dubious segue that is the topic of 'birth', now would be a good time to say Happy New Year! (see where I went there? Birth of the new year? 2008? Good, you're on the same page. This is encouraging.) I hope
everyone has enjoyed the celebrations - I know I did; we took Wonderboy down the coast to Austinmer today for a swim. Conditions were too rough to go in properly, but the weather was lovely and he enjoyed digging in the sand and paddling in the "Big Bath" as he described it, until the poor little bloke was knocked base over apex when a larger wave whooshed up the sand. I hauled him out, spluttering and yelling, but when he calmed a bit, he asked to be put down in the water again. Back on the horse that threw him. Here he is, expressing the patented Wonderboy 'sheer joy of existence' that he does so well:

And, before I leave you all; here is the reason for the birth of the young Yarn Monster being put on hiatus - Secret Baby Project. I'll just show some
nondescript shots here, so as not to give the game away... I'm motoring along with it - literally; it's car knitting (read: plain boring garter stitch knitting) at the moment so I can GET IT DONE!!!



*I do see the irony in me being upset that Henry Watts, Esq may never know she exists, since right now, she as an entire 'Yarn Being' literally doesn't exist.

2 comments:

Steph said...

I can't wait to get home to tell Henry about his potential new love interest!

I will warn you, he has a slew of girlfriends, both human and wooly... Please don't be offended if he doesn't spend his entire day sending her texts or IM hearts - he's got to spread the love around.

Jenny said...

Hey, we've all got our yarn to knit, don't we?