Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Saturday 10 November 2007

Somedays...

Somedays, the Knitting Goddess maketh her glorious countenance to shine down upon us all, and bestow upon us unworthy mortals... stash bargains! I wheeled Wonderboy into my local needlework shop today (looking for something nice for Mum's Christmas present) and got chatting with one of the staff there.

I wore my Rowan Linen print top to show her, as she was one of two s
taff who helped me with that purchase a couple of months ago, and she was very impressed (or she was trying to butter me up to buy yarn, the cynics might say. I think she was being genuine), which was very lovely of her, and then she mentioned that the yarns on sale when I was there last were still on sale (Patons, Cleckheaton and Rowan all 50% off).

I was looking at and tempted by some Rowan Biggy Print (I was thinking Winter hats) as she was talking, but then she really got my attention. She added,

"And all the stuff on these shelves here, I think we're having a bit of an extra sale on these - we need to get rid of them so we can bring new stock in"

I sidled over for a little look - quite a few acrylics, some blends; mostly Italian. She went on as I moved over to a couple of shelves stacked with fat balls of Adriafil Nuance:

"With these ones, I was thinking - what do you reckon to, say twenty balls for $25?" I checked the price. Each ball was tagged at $15.50. Whoa - I'd be stupid not to! She brought over a couple of shopping bags and we proceeded to count balls as they went in. When we got to twenty, we looked at the shelves. She glanced at me briefly, before saying,

"Hmm... what do you say we chuck the rest in there, and call it $30 for the lot?"

I counted them when I got home; in the e
nd I got twenty-five balls of the stuff for $30. I proudly did the calculations so I could tell Pete - at the marked price, the total came to $387.50... Good stuff!

Here's the pinky-greeny-bluey stuff: I have the most balls of that, so I'm thinking an afghan of some description. I've been looking at stitch patterns and going through Ravelry for ideas this evening, so I'll update that when I've decided. In the meantime, I have swatched it. It makes a nice dusty 'lolly-stripe' of colours, so the afghan will be dubbed "The Lolly Blanket". It feels a lot softer while knitting and when knit up than when it's in the ball, and I think it will make a really nice, warm, squashy blanket...




















I also got three balls each (or so - I can't remember exactly!) of these two: greyish-green and grey-white that I think will go towards hats and scarves... In the meantime, I'm still garter-stiching away on the cream, 12-ply 'Baby Surprise', and I think I might cast on the Heirloom mohair for the 'Gypsy' jumper - I got the pattern in the Creative Knitting 2004 Annual, and it's also available through the Nundle Woollen Mill as a kit. Unfortunately, I didn't know that when I bought yarn separately, but oh well - if I like it, I'll knit it again and I can knit it in Nundle yarn! Can't have too much stash!



Oh, yeah - and I also got something nice for Mum, too... eventually...

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Wow! Very envious! :-)