Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Thursday 24 July 2008

Playing Detective...

I did a stupid, stupid thing... While I could have got this scarf finished in the last week, I have gone back to work, thus rendering me unable to maintain intelligent conversation, let alone knit lace of an evening. I just need to get back into the routine, I'm sure.

But in the last few days of the holidays, where I always end up cramming in way more than I should in an effort to have 'done something worthwhile' with my time off, I only managed the odd row or two and stupidly, stupidly left the scarf halfway through the the ten-row set (I usually go to the end and stop each time so I already know I'll be back at the start when I pick the knitting up again). On top of this, I've left the Post-It marking a row I had already completed, thus compounding the problem...

I've managed to sort it out, thankfully. I've tinked back a row to see whether the number of stitches had changed, and the began to tink the row before, to determine the pattern of stitches I had finished that row with... I'm hunched over the knitting, held backwards, muttering, "Right, so there's the K3 I've finished with... the one before it looks like a K3tog, but it can't be. No row has finished on that before... unless... a-ha! I thought so. It's a sl1-K2tog-psso! It's Row 7!!"

Ah, the triumph.

I tried last night, but I found it more important to focus on the screening of 'Jamie's Fowl Dinners'. I make a point of only buying free-range eggs, but this show really opened my eyes about just how crappy the life of a meat chook is before it's offed for our consumption. Crammed into overpopulated, shitty barns to eat and eat before being knocked off at the ripe old age of forty weeks old. They're bred to gain something like sixty grams a day, they can barely stand and walk; their bones just can't cope with the excessive weight. I'm certainly not saying we should go veggie (I tried it once and wussed out pretty quickly!), just that we should really try to find out where our chicken and eggs come from and trying to buy the best welfare bird or eggs we can afford. I'm a big Jamie fan anyway, but I think he's going above and beyond being just a chef; he's doing some good things in a lot of areas.

Back to the scarf.

Oh, and could anyone think why, when I spellchecked this post, it wanted me to change 'knitting' to 'antitank'?

No comments: