Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Sunday 3 February 2008

Baby Showers

There's nothing like a little "incentive" to get one's needles moving and bloody well finish a project that's becoming a bit of a drag to complete (especially when there's a lovely new baby blanket and a pair of socks making eyes at you)...

My incentive was the baby shower, planned for my dear friend Alison, held
yesterday at her mum and dad's place in Sydney, just round the corner from where I used to live. Now, as of Wednesday last week, I still had to finish the collar, and hadn't even purchased a zip to close up the front. Never mind the fact that I'd never sewn in a zipper before. Thursday came... and went, and all I had done towards completing my one and only gift for this shower was buy the zip. Late Thursday evening, I thought I'd better pull it out and deal with the collar. As I bound off the final row and held up my work to admire it, I remembered with a gasp... Blocking.

Dum-dah-duummmm!

This project was knit in cream 12-ply, and after been dragged about in my
knitting bag/s in various states of organisation and disarray. It was chunky, and a little scratchy, and desperately needed a good soak in eucalyptus wool wash and a decent wet-block to finish it before I could attempt the zipper.

And so, while Pete got ready for work and Wonderboy happily smeared honey
toast and soymilk in his highchair on Friday morning, I was up to my elbows in cream coloured wool and delightfully eucalyptus-scented bubbles. Left to dry with a fan pointed at it all day Friday, and the heater turned on briefly Saturday morning, it was dry and ready to sew in the zip by about 9.30am Saturday.

Bear in mind I had to be leaving the house by midday! But thankfully, I was successful and had it wrapped and ready to go. Which brings me to my second

incentive...

I have been a nervous driver ever since a broken leg in a car accident nearly ten years ago, and have never tried to drive to Sydney from our place (about 90 minutes away) either alone or unaccompanied. But on Saturday I sucked it up, got in the car and got to the baby shower safely. Yay me!


So I guess I can thank Ali and her baby shower for providing me with the incentive to get one project out of the way, and to try doing something new and daring (daring for me, anyway)... And, as a happy by-product?


Two new projects cast on. A baby blanket, and a pair of socks for me.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I like the baby jacket! Well done on finishing in the nick of time! I hadn't realised that Heirloom had a sock yarn out...where did you get it? Looks great!