Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Friday 21 December 2007

I got me all felted up

Just one Christmas gift left to knit - Just one! And do you think I'm actually knitting it? Hell, no... I'm sodding around on the Internet! Hey, Facebook doesn't update itself with all my social comings and goings! Hehe... yeah, right; I'm a real Paris Hilton...

As I type, I'm sitting next to my beloved, and Pete's there, too! My Beatles/Abbey Road knitting bag is looking at me grumpily, as there's two WIPs in there; one being as I mentioned, my mother-in-law's Christmas gift.



I'm really liking this pattern too, it's a round dishcloth (I call them and use them as face washers - I can't imagine using such lovely knitted things to scrub dirty pots and pans!) that I'm knitting with Peaches 'n' Creme Ombres in a colour called... um..."Raspberry Swirl". Here's a knit-in-progress shot; I think I should get it finished tomorrow without too much trouble (but, as we know, Trouble may yet find me!)

And now, without further ado - a drumroll, please!!


Here is... my very first... knitted socks! That's right, I got my First Sock Mojo* working!

I am so exceedingly proud of my work here. I have never undertaken the magical process that is turning a heel, but managed to figure it out (hey, it's really not so hard!) and sort-of figured out Kitchener Stitch... Well, I followed Knitty's step-by-step, very slowly, for both socks.

I couldn't believe how big they needed to be for felting! I tried them on several times while knitting, and again when they were done to demonstrate just how baggy these buggers are:




The only thing I was a bit concerned about by the time I had finished the second sock was these seemingly quite huge gaping holes along the sides of the heel flap where I had picked up the stitches for the heel. I think I'd forgotten to knit these through the back of the stitch (and even now, I can only vaguely remember that being the trick to closing those holes), and so when I chucked them into the washing machine to felt, I had all available appendages crossed that these holes would close in the felting process...

...Well, that and that the washing machine wouldn't clog like buggery. I kept pulling them out of the machine every five minutes or so (but I'm pretty sure it was actually every forty seconds or thereabouts), since I wanted to be sure that they were felting, but not 'too much'. Eventually (probably after six or seven checks - my attention span isn't fabulous), I came to the decision that the lingerie bag that I'd popped them into was slowing up the process (why? I dunno!) and emptied it of socks which, left to their own devices and not being stopped and checked every three minutes, promptly felted like the good socks they are!

I even got them shaped, dried and wrapped in time to give them to our dear, dear friend Sam who has cold, cold feet. She loves them and I hope they're doing a lovely job of warming her feet!

And it's back to the washcloth again!

*First Sock Mojo, a wonderful phrase trademarked to the Yarn Harlot. All rights reserved to her for her incomparable wit and wisdom, in all perpetuity. Amen.

No comments: