Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Monday 17 September 2007

The not-quite-started and the not-quite-finished

Firstly, allow me some time for self-congratulation and a little back-patting. What you see in this first picture is a tension square (also known as gauge). Somewhat unremarkable, I know. But this is my very first tension square!!! I'll pause here for applause. Occasionally, I do knit by the rules, and I am determined to have my lovely Rowan 'Linen Print' knit up properly.

I loved the colours when I bought it (on sale, might I add!!); Very desert-like, stone and ochre colours. And then I wasn't sure as it was knitting up. I was wondering if it was too speckledy but then realised I must have been looking too carefully (you know how when you look at a word for too long, you could swear blind you spelled it incorrectly? A bit like that) and that I should move on.

And so, while I was waiting for my very special 'first tension square' to dry after I so carefully washed it (just like the Yarn Harlot told me to!), I went searching for something else to knit. I dug up this blanket that I started back when Pete and I started planning Wonderboy's grand entrance into the world...

My mother-in-law gave me several balls of thick cream handspun that she'd done ages and ages ago, and I had decided to use it as my first foray into circular needles, knitting something quite huge. Needless to say, I was bored stupid after the first two balls were knitted up. I did persevere, until I was down to the last ball and could stand no more. I cold-water dyed the last ball a cool greeny-yellow and thought I'd do a border. Then maths got the better of me; trying to work out how much I could use on each side, and I balled it up, shoved the lot into a calico bag and ignored it until now...

I'm nearly done, actually - but now that the linen print tension square is dry, I'm sort of "ooh.. this one? This one? Which one now?" Acck!

Spoilt for choice!

No comments: