Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Tuesday 20 January 2009

Block Party

Finally. The reason why I have had so few posts to feature finished objects lately?

I've been too damn busy/lazy to block the little buggers, and I think it all just
looks so much nicer to post once blocked. Call me a perfectionist, but there you go!

First up, there's the Fern Lace Scarf. I've enjoyed knitting this one, don't get me wrong; it's just that I had to put it down so I could jump into the 'Baby Mine' cardigan as soon as the yarn and pattern arrived from Blue Moon. It feels like an age since I completed that one, too! This has been knit with Noro Kureyon, sock-weight that I bought on an anniversary weekend away with Pete in Sydney. Nothing says 'I love you' like a trip through Morris and Sons, looking for a 'souvenir yarn' while Pete sits patiently in the husband chair!A word on my stashing: when we go places, particularly if it's a special occasion or a place I've not been before, I love to go to a local yarn shop and just pick up one skein of this or that, as a bit of a souvenir. It might be enough for a pair of socks, a hat or a scarf, and the finished item always reminds me of that trip. It's also great because I can get away with buying one skein, rather than breaking the bank on a jumpers' worth of yarn, particularly if I have no idea of the pattern, yardage, etc. With the bigger projects, I'm a planner - I need to know exactly what I'm doing with the yarn!

Next up, the very first square in my "Year in a Blanket". I joined this Ravelry group in December last year, loving the idea of commemorating Little One's first year as a blanket made up of all different patterned and pictured squares. Since my squares are smaller than the average, I'm aiming to get at least three done each month. Debbie Abrahams' books on knitting squares for blankets and afghans are a real inspiration - I picked up 'Blankets and Throws to Knit' from our local Angus and Robertson, and it has lots of good ideas for squares with lots of detail and textures (lots of beading and sequins, too - but I can't really put them on a baby blanket), as well as funky stripes combinations to set the detailed squares off beautifully.Here's some blocking. A whole lotta blocking goin' on. Most of these items though, were fished out of boxes from storage after WonderBoy had outgrown them. The little blue jumper with the sailboat (my first attempt at intarsia) was never even worn, as I couldn't finish it in time and he'd outgrown it!Two newer items though are a little crossover jumper I've knit with more of the Blue Moon 'Socks that Rock' mediumweight I used for 'Baby Mine' - It's an Erika Knight pattern, from her book 'Simple Knits for Cherished Babies' and knit up quite quickly. I've still got more of this yarn left, hopefully enough for a little pair of socks - we'll have to see. To its left is the second blanket square, a wee blue-and-purple giraffe. Better shots of that once it's dry, I think.
And the reason I'm still blogging from my lounge here at home? Little One shows no inclination whatsoever to make any movements south, so to speak. I was due last Tuesday and am still hoping against hope that something will happen soon, without too much intervention...

No comments: