Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Thursday 13 November 2008

Second Sock Syndrome and an Unhappy Beginning

I cast on Knitty's OpArt blanket a couple of weeks ago, and I'm not happy with it. Well, I'm not happy with my yarn and colour choices, actually. I just don't think the circus-type colours are going to have that cool 'OpArt' effect that the pattern is capable of...
Trouble is, I don't know if I really want to go with the black and white which, striking though it is, just doesn't quite say 'baby blanket' to me.

So, which colours??

Dark pink and light pink... what if it's a boy?
Dark and light blue... what if it's a girl?
Dark and light green... I'm warming towards this combination. knithole on Ravelry has gone with this combination, and I think it looks quite effective. As I've looked through the 95-odd OpArt projects, I've seen another few colour combinations that look good: This one, by Mav, uses blue and purple and looks really good. And this one, by chaoticcrafter, looks very cool with teal and burgundy.

I think I'll have to trawl a few shops and try to think creatively.

In the meantime, I've started the mate for this sock. It's Yarn Harlot's 'Plain Vanilla' sock pattern, in Regia Galaxy, colourway 'Jupiter Blau'. I originally started it on what seemed like incredibly small needles (close to 2mm, I think) and it took me till well past the ribbing and into the leg to realise just how small this sock was turning out (and how bloody long it was taking to knit!).

I frogged it a couple of weeks ago once I'd finished the Linen Baby Blanket and began again on 2.75mm needles, and it's knit up so much faster!

And so to sign off, I'm going to indulge in a couple of wedges of what my family calls "airport Toblerone" (the giant ones that they make - in my family, if you travel overseas, you bring an airport Toblerone back for each family member. It's what you do.) and then I shall get back to work on the second sock!

No comments: