Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Thursday 19 November 2009

Thursday Night Shuffle

"...Excess ain't rebellion... you're drinkin' what they're sellin'..."

Tonight's song is "Rock 'n' Roll Lifestyle", by CAKE. It was their first single, released from their debut album, 'Motorcade of Generosity', in 1994. They're an awesome band, one that I can't believe I didn't know about earlier. Pete introduced me to the depth of their work when we got together, and I've really come to love. They're lyrics are so clever and insightful, and very much right on the pulse of what's going on in the world, just with very cool twists.
As much as it was Pete who introduced me to the rest of CAKE's work (beyond "The Distance", which of course is very well known), this song is actually one I originally heard at the end of an episode of 'Daria', way back when I was in late high school... the lyrics really spoke to me, particularly the lyrics I've added at the top of this post.In this day and age, music is a fashion statement and a commodity... in contrast to the sixties and seventies, when rock 'n' roll really was a revolution and a lifestyle. These days, wearing the 'right' clothes to create the image that goes with your music of choice costs a bomb. It ain't about the music anymore, and it doesn't matter what type of music you go for, whether it's rock, punk, pop, emo, goth, dance, whatever. And that really seems to go against the ideals of a lot of these types of music...

"...
And how much did you spend on your black leather jacket?
Is it you or your parents in this income tax bracket?"

No comments: