Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday PicLilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Friday 9 May 2008

"Where's Doug? At spinning group!"

hehe... as I type this, WonderBoy is just starting to wake up from his afternoon nap and I'm listening to him through the monitor, singing in his cot. He's currently a big fan of a little song we adapted together from a Wiggles' song called "Where's Jeff?" The real lyrics go like this:

Where's Jeff?
Is he sleeping outside?

Where's Jeff?
Has he gone for a ride?

Jeff apparently has issues with falling asleep and then waking up in odd places. Nevertheless, WonderBoy has really taken to this song, and now adapts
responses based on the first two lines. If I sing to him, "Where's Daddy?" he thinks and responds with the most appropriate line. Some times it'll be "At work" other times it might be "Eating dinner" or just "Right here". This works for most of our relatives and pets, and it's an entertaining way of distracting him, particularly during car trips and routine times. We've even had him respond when asked "Where's Mummy?" by singing back, "Knitting a sock". I love it.

Anyway, I'm sitting here typing, and suddenly I hear him singing this little song, each verse being a 'roll call' for the toys in his crib: "Where's Lion? Right here... Where's Nana Ted? Right here... Where's Doug? Right here".

Doug is apparently the name of his plush dragon that happens to be in his cot
right now. I'm not entirely sure where the name 'Doug' came from (we know of no Dougs), but it all started with his little rocking horse that he christened Doug months and months ago. Now, whenever you ask him the name of a special toy, invariably, it ends up being named Doug.

I love the way a two-year-old's mind works. It's so entertaining!


In other news, I headed out to Burrawang, a small and lovely village near my home, this morning to go to my first spinning group. Me being the big wussy that
I am, I didn't actually bring my wheel this time; just my knitting (which is going very well, by the way - I'm about halfway through the back). But it was lovely to meet more local ladies who share my interests in spinning and knitting. I'm feeling better and better about the possibility of a dedicated Southern Highlands Spinners and Knitters Group (SHS&KG? Nah.). I'd love it to get to a point where our monthly meetings are detailed in the local paper in terms of 'what's happening' and to see lots of people getting together, exchanging ideas and information.

Here's WonderBoy, sitting beautifully and reading his book while we got on with our spinning, knitting and fibre-related discussion:

We chatted about all sorts of things - Robyn told us about the bargain she got on a whole lot of circulars she got on eBay, Margaret showed off some beautiful books on spinning and fibre arts she had bought recently, I shared the wonder that is Ravelry with everyone and encouraged them all to join too, and (oh, no - I'm very ashamed to say I can't remember the name of the lovely lady in the pink) brought a couple of skeins she'd spun up that were just beautiful.

Here's Margaret, watching over Robyn and - I'm terribly sorry, I just can't think of your name! - as they get on with their spinning. Margaret is terribly knowledgeable and I put several of her tips into practice when I got home and brought me wheel out. It was a lovely morning, and I'm looking forward to next month's meeting!
Lastly, before I go - a picture of young Luna, who has just started to head outside since we had her desexed a few weeks ago. She loves it, and spends a lot of time just running, leaping, chasing and sniffing things. Today she tried tree-climbing, and I'm pretty sure she was actually stuck - she must have been mucking about in that tree for at least two hours!

No comments: